Portion: Approx. 1/3 cup per serving
HOW TO PREPARE
- Purée cooked beets with liquid and butter until smooth.
- Add ThickenUp® Clear. Process briefly until mixed, scraping sides of bowl.
- Place in ovenproof container and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Heat to 165°F (74°C). Serve immediately.
|Ingredients (for 5 servings)|
|Beets, cooked and drained||2 1/2 cups (625 ml)|
|Reserved cooking liquid or water||2 Tbsp (30 ml)|
|Butter or margarine, melted||2 Tbsp (30 ml)|
|ThickenUp® Clear||3 Tbsp + 1 tsp (50 ml)|
|Serving size:||Approx. 1/3 cup|
|Dietary Fibre||2 g|
|Nutrition calculations based on using canned beets.|
WHEN WE PURÉE VEGETABLES
- Remove peels, skins, or seeds
- Cut into small pieces (1 cm x 1 cm x 1 cm or less)
- Cook well in a moist environment (as needed)
- Drain and place into blender or food processor
For high moisture content foods such as vegetables, a blender or a food processor will be equally effective in producing an ideal puréed product. A hand blender is quite effective as well for high moisture content vegetables.
There are some vegetables that will not purée well. Corn, peas and beans tend to have tough skins. Using a frozen or canned product will achieve better results. For celery, rhubarb, swiss chard, spinach, Asian leafy vegetables, it is recommended to remove the stringy fibres and chop into smaller pieces before cooking. Using a complementary cream-based or higher fat content liquid will help to emulsify and smooth out the puréed vegetable while adding flavour and calories if needed.
Please note that level of moisture, raw ingredients, and processing techniques, may vary yielding different results in texture. Check your recipe consistency by using the IDDSI testing methods at www.iddsi.org.